Thank you so much for your support of my fall prevention program for my nursing leadership class! I made six home visits, and I got a very good idea of the challenges that many of our members face. I would like to continue on with my program, because I think it is a good way for me to serve here at Gloria Dei. I will continue to make home visits and write an article every month.
Exercise is one of the best ways to prevent falls. Exercise keeps your legs strong and improves your balance. Exercise also improves mood and can make you more confident. You may have special medical conditions which make exercise difficult, and if so, check with your doctor before starting an exercise regimen.
Here are some resources in Escondido for exercise:
- The YMCA has a variety of classes. The address is 1050 N. Broadway in Escondido and the phone number is 760-745-7490.
- Silver Sneakers is a fitness program through Medicare which may give you a free gym membership. If you are on Medicare, go to silversneakers.com to check your eligibility.
- Grace Lutheran Church in Escondido hosts Feeling Fit Club with Helena Isbell. Her classes are Monday & Wednesday from 11:30-12:30.
- The Escondido Senior Center (760-839-4688) on 210 Park Ave also hosts several varieties of classes. Helena has classes here as well from 9:00-10:00 & 10:00-11:00 on Mondays/Wednesdays.
- Hiking Club at Gloria Dei! Keep an eye out in the calendar or Blue News for the announcement of our (usually) monthly hikes.
If you need help finding a class or figuring out what kind of exercise to do, please feel free to talk to me. I also put an example of a good exercise you can do at home on the table in the narthex or click here to download.
God Bless You!