Falls are preventable. Creating a safe home environment has a big impact on preventing falls. Two areas come to mind in general: having enough light to see (we need more light as we get older) and clearing obstacles and trip hazards.
These are some specific areas to look at in your home:
- Remove clutter on the floor
- Remove small throw rugs or make sure that bathroom throw rugs stick well to the floor
- Install grab bars in the shower and next to the toilet
- Use non-slip mats in the bathtub or shower
- Improve the lighting in your home
- Use night lights in the bedroom and bathroom so that you can see well enough to go to the toilet at night
- Wear well-fitting shoes inside and outside the house
- Make sure a good path is clear around furniture
- Make sure there are no cords or wires that could be tripped over
- Keep your most often used items on a lower shelf, so that you don’t have to use a stool to reach things very often
If you are interested in having me come over to help you look at your home for safety, just let me know, and I would be happy to do that. We can brainstorm about ways to make your home safer. Thank you for your support!
God bless you,